May 11-17, 2012 Volume 5 – Issue 47
A Word from Our Pastor:
The Grievous Condition of the Country
Last week, President Obama announced on television that he believes he should now support the legalization of homosexual marriage. The internet and the newspapers have been abuzz with opinions on the matter. Many Christians are unsure what to think about the issue, most of them because they believe the legalization of gay marriage is inevitable. I do not believe that is true, but that is not what bothers me the most about the reaction.
We should put aside for the moment that never, in the history of the world, not even in pagan Rome and Greece where homosexuality and bi-sexuality were commonplace and accepted, has a culture elevated same sex unions to the level of marriage. I know that there are many Biblical arguments against homosexual sex, both Old Testament and New Testament. I will personally tell you that I could never vote to legalize such unions if it elevates them to the place of marriage. But all of these things are not what concern me the most.
What bothers me with this is when, after the dust settles, our impulse seems to be anger and more legislation. A sort of defensive mentality sets in where we either decide to fight a protracted legal battles through our political representatives, or we just give up and try to maneuver to keep our own right to speak against homosexuality intact. But I think that this is a poor reaction.
My thought is this, Romans 1-2 teach us that when men and women begin to burn in their passions for the same sex, it is a sign of God’s having given us over to sin. Think of that. That is what horrifies me in this. Instead of going to the polls, we ought to rush to the Lord and beg Him not to give us over to depravity, to spare our country and have mercy on us. Elected representatives cannot, absolutely cannot, change the desires of the human heart. But the King of Kings can. We must go to Him and intercede for our nation.
It isn’t over. God still has many people in this land who love Him and fear His Name. We must pray, and hope, that God will spread His wings over us and shower us with the mercy of grace and repentance.
Praying for the Lord’s Mercy,
· Wednesday Night Study: This Wednesday night we will be having a prayer meeting.
· Ladies’ book club: June’s book is “Kisses from Katie”, a true story about a teenager who moves to Uganda to serve the Lord. A complete list of monthly book selections can be found on the Ladies’ ministry bulletin board or at this link: http://amzn.com/w/1R5C53MQMYWPV
· There will not be a ladies’ fellowship in May. Our next fellowship will be in June at the home of Gina Smith. More details to come.
· Next Nursing Home Ministry is this Sunday, May 27th..
· We need volunteers for bed babies. We need three more volunteers. If you are not currently on the nursery schedule and would like to be added to help out with the babies, please let Marsha know.
· Senior Recognition Sunday is next Sunday, May 13th.
· Sunday May 20th VBS planning meeting.
· A new Hospice sign up has been posted on the ladies’ ministry bulletin board. Please sign up and support this outreach!
· Pray for Bro. Brad’s grandmother, Ruth Mashburn, as she recovers from open heart surgery.
· Please continue to pray for Jim Parker’s niece, Nece. She is still recovering from heart surgery.
· Pray for Ruth Thompson, Wanda Parker’s mother, who is in the beginning stages of congestive heart failure. Pray for her husband, Dalton, as he cares for her. Pray for Wanda and Jim as they are helping care for both of them as well
· Pray for Gloria Childress’ brother, James Pierce, who has a host of health problems.
If you are interested in going to Nicaragua this year, please contact Brad or Eric. There will be a trip in the summer for those who are interested.
Volunteers for this week:
Sunday Morning Childcare:
Bed Babies through 2’s – Amy Williams, Denise Bledsoe, Randy Spence
3’s and 4’s – Drew Dixon and Carter Spence
Sunday Morning Food:
Last Week’s Statistics:
New Covenant Baptist Church – www.DiscoverNewCovenant.com
104 W. Alabama Avenue, Suite A - Albertville, AL 35950
the very image of Almighty God. We exist to adore Him, and to spread the knowledge of His greatness to the ends of the earth.