February 17-23, 2017
Goodbye, For Now
I am in mourning for my friend Ron Champion this morning. I've been looking at his recent pictures on Facebook, pictures with his girls and with Trisha, pictures of him at work and smiling. There's a picture there with him and his baby granddaughter. Some of you have seen these pictures as well.
I can say without hesitation that I loved Ron. He was a good friend. He liked the 2nd Amendment. He liked to argue politics. He was stubborn about it sometimes! But never, for one second, did I ever doubt his friendship or his love for Christ and for our church. I appreciated all of our conversations about all of these things.
Above all, Ron loved Jesus and our church. He wanted people to know the gospel, and he did much to try and get the gospel to others. At every event in down town Albertville, Ron would put up a booth and hand out tracts. He was unashamed of the gospel, and he would tell anyone, anywhere, at any time about the beauty of God in Jesus Christ. He would tell them that the only way to heaven was through faith and repentance in Jesus Christ. He would hand out water, give out tracts, and he would do it all day.
Every Sunday, Ron and I would chit chat for a little while during Sunday School. Ron was doing security. He didn't want anyone to harm a soul in this church. We talked about bee-keeping, the latest political happenings, and all sorts of other things. I am in shock that this will not happen this Sunday. Talking to Ron on Sunday morning was part of my routine of life. When we talked last Sunday, it never entered my wildest dreams that this would be our last chat. We all know that there is a chance any moment will be our last, but we rarely expect that moment when it comes.
I take comfort in that, just as we never know when we will die, we do not know the day that Christ will return. But one day, He will return. When He returns, my friend Ron will be with Him, and if I don't die before that day, I will see him then. So even as I say goodbye this weekend, it's only, "Goodbye for now."
I am grieving, and I cannot imagine the grief that Trisha and his family are feeling today. But I want to echo what the Apostle Paul says so that we do not grieve as those who have no hope, "The Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. Therefore encourage one another with these words" (1 Thess. 4:16-18). Jesus will return. It will be sudden. It will be shocking. It will be glorious. I look forward to seeing my friend again.
Yours in Christ,
- Check out the welcome table for upcoming events and sign ups.
- Every other chair in the sanctuary is now stocked with visitor cards, offering envelopes, and pens. Kids are welcome to draw on those, if need be, but if they do please don't leave those cards in the chairs. Take them with you or throw them away. Thanks.
- Children's Ministry Needs:
- 1 extra teacher on Wednesday nights
- 2 extra Sunday School teachers to add to the rotation.
- 1 nursery worker for Wednesday nights starting in January
- Anyone interested in being on Sunday night rotation (1 year term)
Please call, text, or see Regina if you are interested.
- On Saturday, March 4th we will be arranging preschool/children classrooms. If you want to meet for breakfast beforehand, meet at Food Basket at 8:00. Otherwise meet at the church to rearrange rooms at 9:00. Thanks!--Regina.
- Ladies fellowship: March 9th at Angela Bovee's house @ 6:00 pm.
- We are now collecting canned goods for the kids to give away as an outreach during the month of January. Please place your canned food items in the box next to the welcome table.
- Please continue to fill up the baby bottles for Real Life Pregnancy Center and return them to the basket on the welcome table.
- The church will be providing a meal for the Champion family following Saturday's funeral. Here is the link to sign up for the meal following the funeral: http://www.perfectpotluck.com/meals.php?t=WQQO8347
We also want to provide meals for the Champions the week following the funeral. You can sign up for those at this link: https://mealtrain.com/e7y6lo
March 5 - Family Meeting
March 9 - Ladies Fellowship
- Please continue to pray for and support the Champion Family as we grieve the loss of our brother, Ron.
- Pray for all the benevolence cases we work with on a weekly basis. Most of them are unchurched. Pray the gospel takes root and praise God for all the provision we have to be able to do this ministry.
Sunday Morning Childcare:
Bed Babies through 2's - Amy Williams, Randy Spence, Kevin Parnell
3 through 4 year olds - Amber Knight & Matt Colvin
Last Week’s Statistics:
|Budget Receipts this Week:||$4,620.00|
|Budget Needs Weekly:||$4,097.88|
|Budget Receipts YTD:||$28,785.00|
|Budget Needs YTD:||$28,685.19|
|Building Fund this Week:||$75.00|
|Building Fund YTD:||$1,130.00|
912 E. Main Street, P.O. Box 131- Albertville, AL 35950
Pastor – Brad Williams
Family Pastor -- David Porch
Our mission and passion at New Covenant Baptist Church is to glorify God by becoming a community that fosters the love of God with all of the heart, soul, mind and strength, and by learning to love one another as Christ Jesus has loved us.The answer to every heart's need and the satisfaction of all our longing is found in Jesus Christ our Lord, who is Himself the very image of Almighty God. We exist to adore Him, and to spread the knowledge of His greatness to the ends of the earth.