May 12-18, 2017
Ministry That Doesn't Cost Us is Self-Service
Yesterday, Amy, Ethan, Zoe, and I had to say goodbye to Malachi. We brought him to his new home with his grandmother, and we basically cried all the way home. Our little buddy had been with us for about 9 months, and he was loved as a member of our family, as most of you well know. By God's grace, we were able to help him through a very difficult time, and I am glad to say that he left us in much better shape than when he arrived.
Many people over the last few weeks have wondered aloud "How do you do it?" or have said, "I don't think I could do that." It isn't simply a matter of us wanting to do it, it is a matter of a thing that needs to be done. These children do not have a home. They are always children who have suffered abuse and neglect. They are made in the image of God, and their angels always behold the face of the Father (Matthew 18:10). How can we *not* help them.
Brothers and sisters, I want to say as kindly as I can that if your ministry doesn't cost you anything, it is only self-service. When the people of the church heard that Paul might be arrested in Jerusalem, they begged him not to go. They cried in sorrow. Paul said, "Why are you weeping and breaking my heart?" (Acts 21:13). The people wept when Paul left, and so did he. We know of at least one occasion that people stayed up past midnight to hear him teach before he departed. Paul worried about the churches constantly, and he risked his life for them. Ministry costs us something, or it isn't really ministry. If we don't invest ourselves in others, if we don't invest such that we risk heart break, we aren't loving as we ought to.
In a few months, Amy and I will most likely take another child. They will come to our home, not knowing what to think. We will love them. We will take them to the doctor and get them ready for school. They will sit at our table like family. We might get to keep them a week, or a month, or a year, and then they might go. We will all cry when they do. But that is the price of an open home and an open heart. That is the price of ministry.
Yours in Christ,
- Children's Ministry Needs:
- 4 volunteers on rotation to supervise the kids on Wednesday nights during the summer. There will be no children's classes on Wednesday nights during the summer, just playground and/or a movie. A sign up sheet is on the welcome table for volunteers.
- 2 extra Sunday School teachers to add to the rotation.
- Anyone interested in being on Sunday night rotation (1 year term)
Please call, text, or see Regina if you are interested.
- Check out the welcome table for upcoming events and sign ups.
- The new Young Adult Sunday School Class began on May 7th. Matt Colvin and Jake Ham are co-teaching the class.
- Student Home Meeting is May 17th at Jake and Ali Ham's house from 6 to 8 pm.
- In celebration of school letting out, Albertville United youth ministry association is hosting the annual "AUnited Games" Wednesday, May 24th at the Albertville Rec Center from 4 to 7 pm. There will be "slip-n-slide kickball," basketball, and volleyball. Prizes for winning teams. All middle school and high school students welcome.
- The Ladies Summer Club will begin again in May. The selection for May is "Messy Beautiful Friendship", by Christine Hoover. Time and place for discussion to be announced.
- Ladies Fellowship will be Thursday, May 18th, at 6 pm at Beth Ann Parnell's house.
- June 3rd Dragon Boat Races in support of Habitat for Humanity. Cost is $25 per person. See Kevin Parnell for details.
May 17 - Student Home Meeting
May 18 - Ladies Fellowship
May 24 - AUnited Games
June 3 - Dragon Boat Race
- Please continue to pray for and support the Champion Family as we grieve the loss of our brother, Ron.
- Pray for all the benevolence cases we work with on a weekly basis. Most of them are unchurched. Pray the gospel takes root and praise God for all the provision we have to be able to do this ministry.
Sunday Morning Childcare:
Bed Babies through 2's - Jennifer Rains, Lisa Spence, Chris Knight
3 through 4 year olds - Regina Gregg and Allen Bledsoe
Last Week’s Statistics:
|Budget Receipts this Week:||$6,530.00|
|Budget Needs Weekly:||$4,097.88|
|Budget Receipts YTD:||$80,159.50|
|Budget Needs YTD:||$77,859.80|
|Building Fund this Week:||$200.00|
|Building Fund YTD:||$3,490.00|
912 E. Main Street, P.O. Box 131- Albertville, AL 35950
Pastor – Brad Williams
Family Pastor -- David Porch
9:30am – Sunday School
10:30am - Worship Service
6:00pm – Community Groups
6:30pm - Children/Student Activities
6:30pm – Adult Bible Study