September 15-21, 2017
Hospitality is a Necessity
In Hebrews 13:2, we are told, "Do no neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." This happened to Abraham in Genesis when the three strangers he and Sarah prepared a meal for turned out to be angels from the Lord. Abraham's nephew, Lot, saved himself and his daughters by showing hospitality to those same angels when they came to Sodom. The families of the Old Testament were willing to open hearth and home in order to show kindness to strangers.
In 1 Timothy 3:2, 1 Timothy 5:10, and in Titus 1:8, being hospitable is always listed as one of the qualifications for pastoral ministry. 1 Peter 4:9 commands us to "Show hospitality to one another without grumbling." Hospitality is not a side-issue in New Testament Christianity, it is woven in to who we are supposed to be.
I am going to stop my short sermon on hospitality short by telling you all of a wonderful opportunity to practice it. Community groups! We need houses and homes on stand by to help us with community groups. Ideally, David and I would not have to go hunting for people to host community groups, people would be hunting us to volunteer their homes. So here is your chance, if you would like to make your home available to the members of the church for community group meetings on Sunday nights in the future, please let David and me know.
A big thank you for all of those who have already been willing to open their homes to us for these meetings, and another big thanks to those who I know will volunteer to help us make sure these wonderful times of fellowship are able to continue.
Yours in Christ,
- Children's Ministry:
- We desperately need nursery volunteers for Wednesday nights. We currently have 4 classes on Wednesdays--Adults, Youth, Children, and ESL Bible storying--this means we need more than one person to play with and watch the little ones. Please help!
- 1 more person is needed for the nursery rotation during Sunday Service
- 2 extra Sunday School teachers to add to the rotation.
- Anyone interested in being on Sunday night rotation (8 weeks a year). Please call, text, or see Regina if you are interested.
- Family meeting Sunday night, September 17th. Please bring Italian-themed foods such as spaghetti, lasagna, pizza, pasta, salads, and desserts for a potluck meal Italian style. The church will provide the drinks.
- The next Ladies Fellowship is September 25th at 6 pm at Lisa Spence's house.
- Sign ups for Community Groups are on the welcome table.
September 17 - Family Meeting
September 20 - Student Home Meeting at the Badgetts
September 25 - Ladies Fellowship
- Please continue to pray for and support the Champion Family as we grieve the loss of our brother, Ron.
- Pray for Gloria's husband, Perry Childress. He is not a Christian. Please pray for the Lord to save Him.
- Pray for all the benevolence cases we work with on a weekly basis. Most of them are unchurched. Pray the gospel takes root and praise God for all the provision we have to be able to do this ministry.
Sunday Morning Childcare:
Bed Babies through 2's - Amy Williams, Randy Spence, Kevin Parnell
3 through 4 year olds - Amber Knight, Matt Colvin
Last Week’s Statistics:
Budget Needs Weekly:
Budget Receipts YTD:
Budget Needs YTD:
Building Fund this Week:
Building Fund YTD:
Pastor – Brad Williams
Family Pastor -- David Porch
9:30am – Sunday School
10:30am - Worship Service
6:00pm – Community Groups
6:30pm - Children/Student Activities
6:30pm – Adult Bible Study