June 9-15, 2017
Mission Work is Not All Fun
I have a confession to make, I kind of dread going on mission trips. Wednesday, I will get to the airport in Atlanta at about 9am our time. From there, I will fly to Newark, from Newark to Portugal, and from Portugal I will fly to Accra. When I get to Accra, I will get in a car and ride 8 more hours to where Chris and Dana Holloway minister to the Akyode people. After 8 days, we will drive the 8 hours back to Accra where I will get on an 8 hour flight to Uganda. When I land in Uganda, I will take another 8 hour ride to Gulu where the Moody's minister the gospel. Six days later, we will make the 8 hour trip again to Entebbe where I will get on plane that will, eventually, get me to Atlanta where I will ride for 2 hours or so before I can get home. All of this will happen, if God wills.
It is a lot of work. The travel is tiring. Jet lag is miserable. There is always a good chance of getting a "bug" of some kind in international travel. I'll have to take malaria meds every day. Mission work is an exhausting endeavor. I will be away from my wife and children for 20 days.There is a reason that we call this "the work of the ministry." It is work. The more you do it, the more you will see the work involved in making it happen.
Just yesterday, my daughter asked me why I have to go to "Africa". She will miss me, and I will miss her. I told her that I work for Jesus, and Jesus wants me to go. There are children, like her, who are growing up all over the world who have never heard about Jesus. They don't know about salvation. They don't know about forgiveness of sins. My job is to go and tell them, and I told her that one day, it will be her job too. Plus, it will be a joy to see our friends there, and I hope that I will be able to encourage them in their mission for the Lord there.
Yes, there will hopefully be much joy in the labor of this trip. I will enjoy spending time with my friends and partnering with them for the sake of our Savior. Missions is work, to be sure. But our Lord Jesus is the best boss to work for, and His people are the best people. It is worth the investment.
My prayer now is that many of you will join me in this labor. My prayer is that we will begin to work like this in our own town and neighborhoods. It's not easy, I know that. But nothing worth doing is ever very easy. Will you join us on mission with Christ?
Yours in Christ,
- Children's Ministry Needs:
- 4 volunteers on rotation to supervise the kids on Wednesday nights during the summer. There will be no children's classes on Wednesday nights during the summer, just playground and/or a movie. A sign up sheet is on the welcome table for volunteers.
- 2 extra Sunday School teachers to add to the rotation.
- Anyone interested in being on Sunday night rotation (1 year term)
Please call, text, or see Regina if you are interested.
- There will be an Art Camp meeting this Sunday Morning after the service.
- Sunday School teacher rotation is June 18. If you are rotating on please get with the teacher that is rotating off to see where to begin in the curriculum.
- Check out the welcome table for upcoming events and sign ups.
- Ladies Fellowship is June 15th at 6 pm at Cindy Ham's house.
June 9-10 - Young Men's Retreat
June 11 - Church-wide game night
June 15 - Trip to The Factory in Gadsden, 3-4 pm (leave from church at 2:30. Tickets are $13)
June 20 - Matinee at Boaz 9 to see "Cars 3"
June 21 - Student Home Meeting at the Parnells
June 27 - Picnic at Civitan Park, 11 am to 1 pm (bring your favorite bagged lunch and sports balls)
July 2 - Church Picnic at Noccalula Falls
July 11 - Six Flags Day (Will need chaperones to attend. Tickets $47.99. Leaving church at 8 am)
July 16-19 - Art Camp. Theme is "Survival: Out pray, out last, outreach." Focus of the lessons will be on Spiritual Disciplines.
July 23-27 - Summer Mission Project with Breakaway Ministries in Gadsden. Register by May 31st with $50 deposit.
- Please continue to pray for and support the Champion Family as we grieve the loss of our brother, Ron.
- Pray for all the benevolence cases we work with on a weekly basis. Most of them are unchurched. Pray the gospel takes root and praise God for all the provision we have to be able to do this ministry.
Sunday Morning Childcare:
Bed Babies through 2's - Cindy Ham, Misty Merilien,Steve Hellums
3 through 4 year olds - Marsha Garrison, Taylor Gwaltney
Last Week’s Statistics:
|Budget Receipts this Week:||$6,455.00|
|Budget Needs Weekly:||$4,097.88|
|Budget Receipts YTD:||$95,302.50|
|Budget Needs YTD:||$94,251.35|
|Building Fund this Week:||$200.00|
|Building Fund YTD:||$4,020.00|
Pastor – Brad Williams
Family Pastor -- David Porch
9:30am – Sunday School
10:30am - Worship Service
6:00pm – Community Groups
6:30pm - Children/Student Activities
6:30pm – Adult Bible Study