November 18-24, 2016
Do Not Bear False Witness
Social media has changed the world. On Facebook, I am friends with 1,073 people as of today. That means that anything I post can potentially be viewed by ten times the number of people that I preach to on Sunday morning. That isn't even counting the number of people that will possibly see it if some of those friends share it with their friends. If someone were to write something particularly clever, they could easily have an audience of millions within a few hundred shares. That is mind-boggling.
That is why it is important to make certain that we do not bear false witness on our social media. According to several media outlets, fake news actually got shared more than real news during the election cycle. (8.7 million engagements vs. 7.3 million.) The most popular piece of fake news that was shared was "Pope Francis Shocks World, Endorses Donald Trump for President". The impact of such false stories are still being studied, but there is little doubt that such stories impacted the way people voted. People believed stories because they see them on Facebook.
Consider as well the horror of cyber-bullying. Young people have been ostracized, become depressed, and even killed themselves over slander on social media. I saw an example of this done by grown people on my own Facebook page recently. Such malicious, harmful speech is a clear violation of the Lord's commands. Not only the command not to bear false witness, but the command to love our neighbor as well.
I think that social media is a wonderful tool. It helps me stay in touch with hundreds of friends. We share what is happening in our lives and we share a few laughs. I have even made close friends with people I met through shared interests on social media. But friends, we need to be aware that there are people who make a lot of money spreading outrageous lies on social media. The more outrageous, the more clicks it might get. The more clicks it gets, the more money they make in advertisements. Be very careful about what you share on your social media outlets. Be certain that you know it to be true, or you may accidentally be guilty of bear false witness yourself. If you find that you had been duped by one of these articles, take it down, and issue an apology. It's the least we can do.
Yours in Christ,
- Please pray Suzanne Hood this week as she recovers from surgery. If you would like to help provide meals for her next week, you can sign up at https://mealtrain.com/ngdo56
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask Beth Ann Parnell.
- Children's Ministry: Anyone currently serving or interested in serving as a teacher or on nursery rotation please take a job description form from the welcome table. We need 1 extra teacher on Wednesday nights and 2 extra Sunday School teachers to add to the rotation. Please see Regina if you can be available for any of those.
- Children's Choir Musical will be December 11th at 6 pm! Mark your calendars!
- Student Ministry: Student Home Meeting will be at the Parnells' Wednesday, Nov. 16th. Meet there at 6 and bring your favorite game!
Winter Breakaway is coming up! Remaining balances are due December 7th.
The annual Youth Scavenger Hunt is Dec. 9th from 6 to 11 p.m. This will be a city-wide hunt, so we will need about 4 adult drivers. The team to complete the most tasks before time runs out wins and gets the pick of the best prizes. Door prizes will be awarded to the most creative task.
- Ladies, mark your calendars for Monday, Dec. 5th. We will be having our Ladies Christmas fellowship. Time, place, and more info to come.
- Women's Community Bible Study is at 2 locations this year! Lisa is teaching through the Gospel of Mark. The bible study is being hosted by Grace Fellowship on Tuesday mornings at 10 AM (childcare provided) and by NCBC on Tuesday evenings at 7 PM (no child care provided).
- Please continue to fill up the baby bottles for Real Life Pregnancy Center and return them to the basket in the sanctuary.
Dates to Mark on Your Calendar:
December 5 - Ladies Christmas Fellowship
December 9 - Youth Scavenger Hunt
December 11 - Children's Christmas Musical
Dec. 28-Jan. 1 - Breakaway Student Conference
- Pray for all the benevolence cases we work with on a weekly basis. Most of them are unchurched. Pray the gospel takes root and praise God for all the provision we have to be able to do this ministry.
Volunteers for this week:
Sunday Morning Childcare:
Bed Babies through 2's - Denise Bledsoe, Holly Porch, Robert Sims
3 through 4 year olds - Sam Merilien and Alan Bledsoe
Last Week’s Statistics:
|Budget Receipts this Week:||$2,050.00|
|Budget Needs Weekly:||$4,254.42|
|Budget Receipts YTD:||$174,580.20|
|Budget Needs YTD:||$195,703.46|
|Building Fund this Week:||$0|
|Building Fund YTD:||$8,442.00|
New Covenant Baptist Church – www.DiscoverNewCovenant.com
912 E. Main Street, P.O. Box 131- Albertville, AL 35950
Pastor – Brad Williams
Family Pastor -- David Porch
Our mission and passion at New Covenant Baptist Church is to glorify God by becoming a community that fosters the love of God with all of the heart, soul, mind and strength, and by learning to love one another as Christ Jesus has loved us.The answer to every heart's need and the satisfaction of all our longing is found in Jesus Christ our Lord, who is Himself the very image of Almighty God. We exist to adore Him, and to spread the knowledge of His greatness to the ends of the earth.