November 4-10, 2016
Once Every Four Years
I am pretty certain that everyone, including the candidates, is tired of this election and is just ready to get it over with. I know I am. Perhaps we say it every year, but this year really has been the awfullest election I have ever seen, and it is the first time that I fear there may be pockets of violence regardless of who wins next Tuesday. It's a mad house out there.
But I am thankful that we have these elections. If nothing else, I think they peel back the thin veneer that covers our hearts and they show us what is inside. We get a peek at what we really love, what we are like, and what our deepest desires are. What this election has shown me is that America is full of fear, easily whipped into emotional frenzy, and very bad at thinking through things logically and reasonably. I say this regardless of what side of the aisle someone may happen to be on in this election.
The constant bickering and hot tempers and talk show pundits can really wear you down. When you look at this issues facing our country, you can even despair. But remember and never forget, this is not our home. This is not our country. We are sojourners here. Exiles looking for a better country and a better home. A place not built with the hands of men, but a country whose cornerstone is Jesus Christ Himself.
Once every four years, I am reminded that here, we are using political duct tape to keep things on Earth from unraveling, and that can only work for so long. We must be active and prophetic in telling the world the difference between good and evil. It doesn't matter if we win elections; what matters is if we bear faithful witness to the truth.
This is not our home. This is our mission field. Our message is from a foreign land and from a foreign king. That King is coming here, and He is going to overthrow these nations. He will sit as absolute ruler over heaven and earth, and anyone who does not repent and love Him will perish at His Word.
So vote, if you want to, this Tuesday. Vote your conscience. Martin Luther once said, "To go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand, I can do no other, so help me God." This is true in the church, and it is true in the voting booth. Don't let anyone tell you any different. Vote your conscience on Tuesday. Or stay home and eat popcorn if you cannot in good conscience vote for any of the candidates. This isn't your home. This is our "Once Every Four Years Reminder" of that fact.
Yours in Christ,
- Daylight Savings Time Ends Saturday night! (Technically Sunday at 2am) Don't forget to set your clocks back an hour or you'll be late for church!
- Children's Ministry: Anyone currently serving or interested in serving as a teacher or on nursery rotation please take a job description form from the welcome table. We need 1 extra teacher on Wednesday nights and 2 extra Sunday School teachers to add to the rotation. Please see Regina if you can be available for any of those.
- Children's Choir Musical will be December 11th at 6 pm! Mark your calendars!
- Student Ministry: Winter Breakaway is coming up! Remaining balance is due December 7th.
Update: the annual Youth Scavenger Hunt has been postponed to Dec. 9th from 6 to 11 p.m. since AHS made football playoffs and will be hosting on Nov. 4th. This will be a city-wide hunt, so we will need about 4 adult drivers. The team to complete the most tasks before time runs out wins and gets the pick of the best prizes. Door prizes will be awarded to the most creative task.
- On Sunday, November 13th, Pastor Rejoice and his wife, Beatrice, are coming to visit us from Tanzania. We will have a spaghetti plate fundraiser for Rejoice and Hope Ministries Int'l after service. Plates start at $5, but larger donations will be appreciated.
- Sign ups for Round 2 of community groups are on the welcome table in the hallway.
- Women's Community Bible Study is at 2 locations this year! Lisa is teaching through the Gospel of Mark. The bible study is being hosted by Grace Fellowship on Tuesday mornings at 10 AM (childcare provided) and by NCBC on Tuesday evenings at 7 PM (no child care provided).
- Please continue to fill up the baby bottles for Real Life Pregnancy Center and return them to the basket in the sanctuary.
Dates to Mark on Your Calendar:
November 13 - Pastor Rejoice and Beatrice will be here from Tanzania
December 9 - Youth Scavenger Hunt
December 11 - Children's Christmas Musical
Dec. 28-Jan. 1 - Breakaway Student Conference
- Pray for all the benevolence cases we work with on a weekly basis. Most of them are unchurched. Pray the gospel takes root and praise God for all the provision we have to be able to do this ministry.
Volunteers for this week:
Sunday Morning Childcare:
Bed Babies through 2's - Cindy Ham, Leigh Ellen, Steve Hellums
3 through 4 year olds - Marsha Garrison and Jessica Gevers
Last Week’s Statistics:
Budget Receipts this Week: $2196.00
Budget Needs Weekly: $4,254.42
Budget Receipts YTD: $163,944.20
Budget Needs YTD: $187,194.61
Budget (Deficit)/Surplus ($23,250.41)
Building Fund this Week: $300.00
Building Fund YTD: $8,200.00
New Covenant Baptist Church – www.DiscoverNewCovenant.com
912 E. Main Street, P.O. Box 131- Albertville, AL 35950
Pastor – Brad Williams
Family Pastor -- David Porch
Our mission and passion at New Covenant Baptist Church is to glorify God by becoming a community that fosters the love of God with all of the heart, soul, mind and strength, and by learning to love one another as Christ Jesus has loved us.The answer to every heart's need and the satisfaction of all our longing is found in Jesus Christ our Lord, who is Himself the very image of Almighty God. We exist to adore Him, and to spread the knowledge of His greatness to the ends of the earth.