December 9-15, 2016
I don't understand the incarnation. I hate to admit that, while good theology will help you, things like the Ecumenical Councils and the Chalcedon Confession, they will only take you so far. They cannot dispel the mystery. Those confessions are there to keep you out of the ditch of heresy.
But think about Jesus in Mary's womb. There he is, the Son of God, as an embryo. How does that work, exactly? Could He communicate with the Father then? What is it like for God to be a toddler? To have His diaper changed? How did Joseph correct Jesus as he learned the trade? Did Jesus have any reflux and exasperate Mary by crying all night? Did he ever get sick? Did Joseph want to whip Jesus when he went missing for three days in the Temple?
How does the infinite, Almighty God join to finite human flesh? I know that Jesus is both human and divine, yet these two natures combine in one person, not two. There is no "God person" Jesus and "human person" Jesus, as though he had two wills. He is one person, but both God and man. He is not a mixture, either. He is solidly both, and yet one person. It is amazing to think about.
The contrast between the Almighty and the frailty of humanity is seen most clearly in the manger in Bethlehem. There is the Almighty, All-Powerful God, wrapped in swaddling clothes. He is utterly dependent on Joseph and Mary. If they don't feed him, he'll starve. If they don't provide shelter and clothing, he'll die of exposure. God is an impotent baby? This really happened?
Yes, it did. And it happened so that you and I might be saved. It happened so that we might inherit his kingdom. Meditate on this good news this season. Think on it until your heart is filled with joy, and then go share this good news with others.
Yours in Christ,
- Check out the welcome table for upcoming events and sign ups.
- Children's Ministry: Anyone currently serving or interested in serving as a teacher or on nursery rotation please take a job description form from the welcome table. We need 1 extra teacher on Wednesday nights and 2 extra Sunday School teachers to add to the rotation. Please see Regina if you can be available for any of those.
- Nursery Teacher Needed on Wednesday nights starting in January.
- Children's Choir Musical will be this Sundy, December 11th at 6 pm! Children in the musical need to be at the church by 5:30pm! Anyone who can bring baked goods as part of our bake sale 'props' would be greatly appreciated. We will have a baked goods fellowship immediately following the musical. Please see Beth Ann if you have any questions.
- Parents and children meet at 5pm at the church on Wednesday, Dec. 14th, to bake cookies and pass them out to employees at the Crossroads mall.
- There will be a family meeting on Sunday night, December 18th. We will have a soup and sandwich fellowship meal prior to the meeting. Please bring soup, sandwiches, and/or desserts for the meal. The church will provide drinks.
- Student Ministry: Winter Breakaway is coming up! Remaining balances are now past due. See David if you haven't paid!
The annual Youth Scavenger Hunt is Dec. 9th from 6 to 11 p.m. This will be a city-wide hunt, so we will need about 4 adult drivers. The team to complete the most tasks before time runs out wins and gets the pick of the best prizes. Door prizes will be awarded to the most creative task.
You are invited to David and Holly's house on Wednesday night (6 pm), Dec. 14th, for our Christmas party! Bring an inexpensive gift to play "Dirty Santa," and wear your most hideous Christmas sweater for fun. We'll have snacks and hot chocolate too!
- Women's Community Bible Study is at 2 locations this year! Lisa is teaching through the Gospel of Mark. The bible study is being hosted by Grace Fellowship on Tuesday mornings at 10 AM (childcare provided) and by NCBC on Tuesday evenings at 7 PM (no child care provided).
- Please continue to fill up the baby bottles for Real Life Pregnancy Center and return them to the basket in the sanctuary.
Dates to Mark on Your Calendar:
December 9 - Youth Scavenger Hunt
December 11 - Children's Christmas Musical
December 14 - Youth Christmas Party
Dec. 28-Jan. 1 - Breakaway Student Conference
- Pray for all the benevolence cases we work with on a weekly basis. Most of them are unchurched. Pray the gospel takes root and praise God for all the provision we have to be able to do this ministry.
Volunteers for this week:
Sunday Morning Childcare:
Bed Babies through 2's - Cindy Ham, Leigh Ellen, Steve Hellums
3 through 4 year olds - Marsha Garrison and Jessica Gevers
Last Week’s Statistics:
|Budget Receipts this Week:||$5,923.00|
|Budget Needs Weekly:||$4,254.42|
|Budget Receipts YTD:||$184,813.20|
|Budget Needs YTD:||$208,466.73|
|Building Fund this Week:||$250.00|
|Building Fund YTD:||$8,842.00|
912 E. Main Street, P.O. Box 131- Albertville, AL 35950
Pastor – Brad Williams
Family Pastor -- David Porch
9:30am – Sunday School
10:30am - Worship Service
6:00pm – Community Groups
6:00pm - Children/Student Activities
6:00pm – Adult Bible Study