February 24 - March 2, 2017
"Death, Be Not Proud"
I'm not very fond of poetry, except Hebrew poetry. I prefer to read prose and narrative. But several years ago I heard a poem by John Donne quoted which resonated in my soul. So then I read it. It goes like this:
"Death, be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so;
For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow
Die not, poor Death, nor yet canst thou kill me.
From rest and sleep, which but thy pictures be,
Much pleasure; then from thee much more must flow,
And soonest our best men with thee do go,
Rest of their bones, and soul's delivery.
Thou art slave to fate, chance, kings, and desperate men,
And dost with poison, war, and sickness dwell,
And poppy or charms can make us sleep as well
And better than thy stroke; why swell'st thou then?
One short sleep past, we wake eternally
And death shall be no more; Death, thou shalt die."
I've been thinking about this lately because a few of my friends have died over the last two months--Joey, Cheryl, Ron, Clint. They were all believers and the world was better because of them; I am better because of them. I and many, many others will sorely miss them. You might think that the frequency of my friends passing on would lead me towards a morbid preoccupation with death or else depression. Quite the contrary! It just reminds me of how short of a life I have and it drives me to make the most of my time here. For our sojourn in this old creation is just a blip, and then the New Creation will be completed. And what we do here with our short time matters for eternity.
Our Christian friends and family members who have gone on before us are not yet perfected. Even the souls under the altar must "rest a little while longer until both the number of their fellow servants and their brethren, who would be killed as they were, [is] completed."--Rev. 6:9-11
But now they are a "great cloud of witnesses" waiting in the heavenlies for the death of Death and the resurrection of Life.
Jesus has the keys of Death and Hades and He will very soon throw them both into the Lake of Fire forever. Amen.
Comfort each other with these words, and my the LORD who conquered Death give you peace.
- Check out the welcome table for upcoming events and sign ups.
- Please continue to fill up the baby bottles for Real Life Pregnancy Center and return them to the basket on the welcome table.
- Every other chair in the sanctuary is now stocked with visitor cards, offering envelopes, and pens. Kids are welcome to draw on those, if need be, but if they do please don't leave those cards in the chairs. Take them with you or throw them away. Thanks.
- Children's Ministry Needs:
- 1 extra teacher on Wednesday nights
- 2 extra Sunday School teachers to add to the rotation.
- 1 nursery worker for Wednesday nights starting in January
- Anyone interested in being on Sunday night rotation (1 year term)
Please call, text, or see Regina if you are interested.
- Nathan and Jessica Townson will be attending Lifeline Kids' Camp in Birmingham the weekend of March 11-12. If you or your family are interested in participating, please meet with the Townsons after service THIS Sunday in the fellowship hall. They will briefly share specific ways you can be involved with the Kids' Camp. Thanks!
- On Saturday, March 4th we will be arranging preschool/children classrooms. If you want to meet for breakfast beforehand, meet at Food Basket at 8:00. Otherwise meet at the church to rearrange rooms at 9:00 am. Thanks!--Regina.
- Family Meeting: Sunday night, March 5th at 6 pm. This will be a potluck meal! Everyone bring your favorite dish and/or dessert. Drinks will be provided by the church.
- Ladies fellowship: March 9th at Angela Bovee's house @ 6:00 pm.
- On Sunday, March 12th from 3:30 to 7:30, come out to the church for an afternoon of games and fellowship! Bring your favorite board games or card games to play. Also, enjoy the new 3-in-one combo pool, air hockey, and ping pong table in the youth room!
That same evening, Snead State Bevill Center is hosting "Explosion 2017," from 6 to 9 pm, featuring Building 429, Josh Wilson, and special guest, Chris August. Tickets are $15 in advance, $20 at the door. To buy tickets call 800-965-9324, online at itickets.com, or available at Real Life Pregnancy Centers.
- The hospitality ministry has setup a meal train to continue to provide meals for the Champion family. You can sign up to take a meal at this link: https://mealtrain.com/e7y6lo
March 4 - Rearranging Children's classrooms
March 5 - Family Meeting
March 9 - Ladies Fellowship
March 12 - Church Game Day and Explosion 2017
- Please continue to pray for and support the Champion Family as we grieve the loss of our brother, Ron.
- Pray for all the benevolence cases we work with on a weekly basis. Most of them are unchurched. Pray the gospel takes root and praise God for all the provision we have to be able to do this ministry.
Sunday Morning Childcare:
Bed Babies through 2's - Cindy Ham, Leigh Ellen Styke, Steve Hellums
3 through 4 year olds - Marsha Garrison and Taylor Gwaltney
Last Week’s Statistics:
|Budget Receipts this Week:||$3,581.00|
|Budget Needs Weekly:||$4,097.88|
|Budget Receipts YTD:||$32,366.00|
|Budget Needs YTD:||$32,783.08|
|*Building Fund this Week:||$240.00|
|Building Fund YTD:||$1,370.00|
*Building fund donation given by the Bledsoes in loving memory of Ron Champion.
912 E. Main Street, P.O. Box 131- Albertville, AL 35950
Pastor – Brad Williams
Family Pastor -- David Porch
9:30am – Sunday School
10:30am - Worship Service
6:00pm – Community Groups
6:00pm - Children/Student Activities
6:00pm – Adult Bible Study