April 12-April 18, 2013
A Word from our Pastor:
Anger is the Only Proper Response
*This Post has some Upsetting Descriptions. It is about Abortion*
I am angry today. I am so angry that I want to write, to march, something, anything, to draw attention to an injustice that has happened in our country, and to draw attention to the unjust lack of response. You may or may not know that the most macabre, horrific, gut-wrenching trial of the last thirty years is happening right now. It involves a “Doctor” by the name of Kermit Gosnell. He is on trial for the murder of a woman, and infanticide against seven babies.
Kermit Gosnell ran a late-term abortion clinic in Philadelphia. He catered to mostly poor women and minorities over the course of 30 years, for 17 of those years his clinic went without inspection. Not one inspection of his facility over 17 years. Kermit Gosnell made millions of dollars aborting babies.
It seems that Gosnell would have gone on killing children for as long as he wanted if he hadn’t botched an abortion and killed a woman. It’s understandable that this happened, since none of his staff were licensed nurses or doctors and he let a 15 year old administer anesthesia.
Gosnell is on trial for 8 murders, but as at goes on, we are finding out that it was far worse than that. Far worse. One of his employees testified that she had seen Gosnell snip the necks of more than 30 babies who were born alive. One of them was left on a shelf and was “screeching”. Another witness said, “It would rain fetuses. Fetuses and blood all over the place.” He further testified that he saw over 100 babies get their necks snipped with scissors after they were born.
Did you know about this? The media reported Todd Akin’s pro-life blunder over and over again, and they made it a central part of the election. We all heard about it when Chick-Fila gave money to a pro-family organization. But this horror? Hardly a peep.
I write this to make you aware of two things: First, that Dr. Gosnell was able to do these things for 30 years without any trouble. May justice be swifter than the inspections! Second, it is to demonstrate that, on the issue of abortion, the media is horribly and terribly biased. One look inside of Gosnell’s house of horrors, and the abortion debate would light up like a bonfire. I haven’t told you half of the things that have come out during this trial; I don’t have the stomach for it. Some things cannot be unseen and unheard.
Pray for our country. Pray for our leaders. Pray that someday, this wickedness of abortion will end. And remember The Crisis Pregnancy Center when you pray, and thank God for it. Ministries like these are a light in a dark world.
- Ladies' Book Club is meeting in the morning (Saturday) at the Food Basket to discuss “Unbroken”. The next book club selection is Jane Eyre which we will plan to discuss in June. Gina Smith has some hardcover copies available for purchase if you are interested. Contact Lisa Spence for more information. (
- There will be a Bridal Shower for Abby Hellums Sunday, April 28 – there is a sign up sheet on the back table.
- Ladies Fellowship will not meet in April due to schedules, but please continue to bring larger size baby diapers for the pregnancy center to church.
- The next Ladies’ Fellowship will meet May 14th. More details to follow!
- The ladies’ Community Bible Study is studying the “I am” statements in the gospel of John for five weeks, concluding on April 30th – They meet Tuesday mornings at 10:00 A.M. at Grace Fellowship Church.
- May 1st the Students will be meeting at the Hellums house for our Wednesday night Bible study.
- Student Summer Retreat will be Monday July 22nd through Thursday July 25th in Pigeon Forge. We have reserved a cabin and will be going to Dollywood and the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. Cost will be $150 and will cover lodging, most food, and ticket to Dollywood. There are some scholarships available for students needing financial help to go. Don’t hesitate to ask.
Dates to Mark on Your Calendar:
- May 12th – New Sunday School classes begin
- May 26th – Last meeting for this round of community groups
- June 2nd – Family Meeting
- June 5th – Wednesday Night – First Wednesday for Students going into the 7th Grade
- June 9th – Sunday evening service
- June 16th – Sunday evening service
- June 23rd – No Sunday evening services or activities
- June 30th – New set of Community Groups begin
- July 14th – 17th – Children’s Art Camp
- July 22nd – 25th – Student Retreat to Pigeon Forge
· Pray for Misty Merilien and her baby as the pregnancy continues.
· Pray for Kristy Baldwin’s aunt, who is battling breast cancer.
· Pray for Emri Legg, 6 week old daughter of a friend of Josh and Staci Bledsoe, was born with a mild form of spina bifada. Facing surgery and life-long trials.
· Pray for Ray Dixon, Drew’s father, he has prostate cancer. Pray God would strengthen him and point others to Christ through this trial.
· Please continue to pray for Jim Parker’s niece, Neci. Continue to pray, she is still awaiting two more operations.
· Pray for Ruth Thompson, Wanda Parker’s mother, who is in the beginning stages of congestive heart failure. Pray for her husband, Dalton, as he cares for her. Pray for Wanda and Jim as they are helping care for both of them as well.
Volunteers for this week:
Sunday Morning Childcare:
Bed Babies through 2’s – Amy Williams, Ellen Sims, Matt Colvin
3’s and 4’s – Drew Dixon and Carter Spence
Sunday Morning Food:
Last Week’s Statistics:
Budget Receipts: $2,970.00
Budget Receipts YTD: $47,939.00
Budget Needs YTD: $55,178156
Budget (Deficit)/Surplus ($7,239.15)
Building Fund this Week: $275.00
Building Fund YTD: $9,775.00
Building Fund Giving to Date: $184,896.75
New Covenant Baptist Church – www.DiscoverNewCovenant.com
104 W. Alabama Avenue, Suite A - Albertville, AL 35950
Pastor – Brad Williams Family Pastor – Drew Dixon
9:30am – Sunday School
10:30am - Worship Service
6:00pm – Community Groups
11:30am – Men’s Bible Study
6:00pm - Children/Student Activities
6:00pm – Adult Bible Study
Our mission and passion at New Covenant Baptist Church is to glorify God by becoming a community that fosters the love of God
with all of the heart, soul, mind and strength, and by learning to love one another as Christ Jesus has loved us.
The answer to every heart's need and the satisfaction of all our longing is found in Jesus Christ our Lord, who is Himself
the very image of Almighty God. We exist to adore Him, and to spread the knowledge of His greatness to the ends of the earth.