July 21-27, 2017
There is No Such Place as "Cyber Space"
Cyber space is kind of a myth. It was made up, I suppose, sometime during the 80's or 90's to describe the mysterious region of the internet where everything magically happens. Unfortunately, the idea of it being a separate place sort of took hold in a lot of our minds, as if what happens in cyber space isn't "the real world." It is the real world, and we need to realize that for both good and bad.
We have never interacted with a "cyber person" online. Every person you have responded to on Facebook, by email, or in a comment section, is a real person. The relationships that you form on social media are real relationships with real people. They aren't lesser because they are online because the people you are texting, commenting with, and talking to on Facebook are just as real as the people who sit next to us in church.
On a positive note, this means that we can be friends and get to know people that we would not have been able to know merely 30 years ago. I have friends, real friends, who I know only online. Some of them I have been able to meet in person, but many I have yet to meet face to face. That doesn't mean that those relationships are less real. Those relationships are simply different.
The reason that this is important is because people often downplay the importance of treating others online like real persons. Bullying online is epidemic. Nasty, terrible comments on things that people write are also evident everywhere you look. We need to be aware that how we relate to people online is affecting real, actual persons.
So please, don't underestimate the influence and importance of social media contacts. Also, don't undervalue the real relationships that can form online, whether they be relationships you forge or those of your children. I know that the internet is often used for evil, but it is also a source of great good. It can be used to tear others apart, but it can also be used to build them up.
Think about that if you use email, texts, or other social media. Be salt and light wherever you go, even when it is on the internet.
Yours in Christ,
- Students will meet this Wednesday night at the Knight's house. Contact David if you would like more details.
- Children's Ministry Needs:
- 4 volunteers on rotation to supervise the kids on Wednesday nights during the summer. There will be no children's classes on Wednesday nights during the summer, just playground and/or a movie. A sign up sheet is on the welcome table for volunteers.
- 2 extra Sunday School teachers to add to the rotation.
- Anyone interested in being on Sunday night rotation (8 weeks a year)
Please call, text, or see Regina if you are interested.
- Ladies Fellowship: July 24th at 6:00pm at Kathy Coy's house.
- Student group Lock-in at the church starting at 6:00pm on Friday, July 28.
- Sign ups for upcoming Community Groups are now on the welcome table.
July 23 - Community Groups start back
July 24 - Ladies Fellowship
July 24-28 - Youth Summer Missions Week
July 28 - Youth Group Lock-in starting at 6pm
- A big "Thank You!" to all those who helped with Art Camp. We had a great year, thanks to you. The kids had a good time, learned a lot, and were very well fed. Thank you so much!
- Please continue to pray for and support the Champion Family as we grieve the loss of our brother, Ron.
- Pray for Gloria's husband, Perry Childress. His health has been declining and he is not a Christian. Please pray for the Lord to save Him.
- Pray for all the benevolence cases we work with on a weekly basis. Most of them are unchurched. Pray the gospel takes root and praise God for all the provision we have to be able to do this ministry.
Sunday Morning Childcare:
Bed Babies through 2's - Jennifer Rains, Lisa Spence, Chris Knight
3 through 4 year olds - Gina Smith, Alan Bledsoe
Last Week’s Statistics:
Budget Needs Weekly:
Budget Receipts YTD:
Budget Needs YTD:
Building Fund this Week:
Building Fund YTD:
Pastor – Brad Williams
Family Pastor -- David Porch
9:30am – Sunday School
10:30am - Worship Service
6:00pm – Community Groups
6:30pm - Children/Student Activities
6:30pm – Adult Bible Study